Unity One East offers training for certification as an Armed Security Guard.
- Cost: $150.
- Duration: 16 hours.
A security guard/officer is an individual employed by a contract security company or a proprietary security organization to protect persons and/or property from criminal activities. A security guard who holds armed guard registration may work an armed or unarmed post, and is not required to hold an additional “unarmed” guard registration.
All armed security guards must meet the armed guard registration requirements in order to be authorized to carry a firearm.
- Be at least 21 years of age for registration as an armed security guard.
- Be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien.
- Not have been declared by any court of competent jurisdiction incompetent by reason of mental defect or disease unless a court of competent jurisdiction has since declared the applicant competent;
- If convicted in any jurisdiction of any of the crimes listed in this subdivision (4), have completed serving sentence or court ordered probation at least five (5) years prior to application. Conviction of the following crimes shall disqualify an applicant, subject to the conditions stated in this section:
(A) Any felony; or
(B) Any misdemeanor involving:
(i) Shooting a firearm or other weapon;
(iii) Assault and battery or other act of violence against persons or property;
(iv) Crimes involving the sale, manufacture or distribution of controlled substances, controlled substance analogues, drugs or narcotics;
(v) Theft of property; or
(vi) Theft of services;
- Not be suffering from habitual drunkenness or narcotics addiction or dependence;
- Not have any disability that, in the opinion of the commissioner, prevents the applicant from performing the duties of a security guard/officer; and
- Be of good moral character.
- Applicants must submit electronic fingerprints for processing for a TBI and FBI criminal history check.
- Must meet the statutory training requirements.
Training includes an examination covering subjects in which the individual must have training. All candidates must complete a four hour basic course including one (1) hour each of:
- Legal powers and limitations of a security guard/officer.
- Emergency procedures.
- General duties.
- Any additional training for weapons or other devices that are less than lethal he or she will use.
- An armed guard must complete eight additional hours in the classroom covering:
- Legal limitations on the use of a firearm:
- Handling of a firearm
- Safety and maintenance of firearms
In addition, an armed guard applicant must complete an additional four hours of marksmanship training and achieve a minimum of 70% on any silhouette target course approved by the commissioner.
Training Requirements for the use of a Club, Stun Gun, Chemical Spray, Night Stick or other less than lethal device
Registered guards or applicants who will carry a club, stun gun, chemical spray, night stick or other less than lethal device, the commissioner shall require appropriate training specific to such device by a certified trainer who is certified to instruct for such specific device. It shall be the employers’ responsibility to keep training records of their employees for each device. The security officer/guard shall also have in such person’s possession a certification card issued by an instructor/trainer who is certified to instruct/train in the legal use of such specific device and shall exhibit such card upon demand by the commissioner or the commissioner’s duly authorized agent or any full time law enforcement officer.
- Armed Guards/Officers must renew their registration every two (2) years.
- Every two (2) years armed security guards must complete four hours of refresher training and requalify in the use of a firearm by achieving a minimum of 70% on any silhouette target course approved by the commissioner prior to the renewal of their guard registration.
If you are interested in obtaining additional information on our training services please call us directly at 423-475-6206.